do I need to shock my pool?
water composition always includes some undesirable elements that
actually contaminate the water and reduce the efficiency of the
disinfectant or sanitizer.
such as hair spray, suntan oil, cosmetics, perspiration and other
organic material react to combine with the chlorine in the water
to form "combined chlorine".
chlorine" forms, it acts as a very poor disinfectant, contributing
to eye and skin irritations and the forming of unpleasant chlorine
odor. Pools with this problem are often inaccurately accused of
having too much chlorine.
treatment is necessary to destroy combined chlorine compounds
and restore the chlorine sanitizer to "free chlorine"
efficiency. A pool can be shock treated by adding large doses
of chlorine, commonly referred to as superchlorination, or by
adding a non-chlorine shock.
To Main FAQ Page